Friday, December 25, 2009

Santa Claus

Dear Victorious,

What do you think about Christians keeping the tradition of Santa Claus? Isn't it just lying to children and setting them up for disappointment later in life?

Nardel W. - Gahanna, OH

Dear Nardel,

Well what I think and what is the truth are probably not totally in line. Let me confess that before I answer. I was raised with Santa Claus by my parents and allowed the tradition to be extended to my own children. I am not proud of this.

Getting children to buy into the whole Santa Claus thing is insincere at best. At its worst, it starts the kids out with a very warped sense of what Christmas is all about. Christ truly is the reason for the season. If we're going to do a God-honoring job of celebrating Christmas, there is absolutely no room whatsoever for Santa Claus.

I'm sure even the Christians will argue that believing in Santa Claus is harmless. I'll challenge that assumption and call it a justification to excuse our sin. No child who believe in Santa Claus can have any real grasp of God's gift in the long-awaited Messiah.

If I had it to do over, I would not be ignorant about this --- and I would not deceive my children with the Santa Claus myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment