Friday, December 4, 2009

Evil Thoughts

Dear Victorious,

I became a Christian about three years ago, was baptized and all. I truly do love the Lord. But I find that lustful thoughts still seem to come to me throughout the day. I read my Bible daily, attend church regularly, and love to worship. Still these thoughts come to me. And they're disgusting thoughts that I don't even want to have! Why won't God take these thoughts away from me?

Burl A. - Burlington, VT

Dear Burl,

First of all, don't blame God for these thoughts. If you had these thoughts before you were a Christian, it is quite plausible that you will struggle with them further. But take heart - you can get victory in this area of your life.

Examine what you are putting into your mind through television, radio, Internet, books, music, magazines, conversations, movies, etc. Replace anything that you find which isn't really God-honoring with things that are "excellent and worthy of praise." (Philippians 4:8)

More than likely the evil thoughts keep coming to you because their stimulus remains fresh in you. I've heard it said that when you become a Christian, you must change your playground, and sometimes change your playmates too.

No comments:

Post a Comment