Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Resolutions?

Dear Victorious,

I want to make New Year's resolutions that are meaningful and realistic. In other words, I want to do something that matters and I want to do it well. Does the Bible give me any clues as to how to identify the best resolutions to make for a New Year? Is there such a thing as New Year's resolutions that are Biblical?

Von D. - Anaheim, CA

Dear Von,

Well, there is a problem with New Year's resolutions. It is that they are focused on what I can do. Yet God's Word says there is absolutely nothing that I can do except that which the Father empowers me to do. Jesus said, "Apart from the Father I can do nothing." So any New Year's resolution I might want to make is going to need God's blessing ... or it is doomed to fail.

If you are looking for Biblical direction on making New Year's resolutions I would start with Matthew 22:36-40, where we are told to love God first and foremost, and then to love others as we would want to be loved ourselves. (Notice that it doesn't say to love yourself.)

God tells us in the Bible that we are consistently to seek Him first (Matthew 6:33). Quite frankly, I don't see very many people who are succeeding at that. If there were one resolution I would want to make for the New Year, it would be to truly seek Him first. Knowing God, hearing God, obeying God, worshipping God and following His will for me would become my greatest priority.

The good news is that seeking Him first is a New Year's resolution that the Holy Spirit will be happy to help you with!

No comments:

Post a Comment