Saturday, December 5, 2009

Money Maker

Dear Victorious,

I make more money than my husband, and it is causing some severe problems in our marriage. This was not always the case. For several years he earned more than me, and I was fine with it. Now that the tables are turned, he seems to resent the fact that I'm the major breadwinner in the household. I want him to be proud of me ... and not resentful. What can we do?

Nancy B. - Willoughby, OH


Dear Nancy,

From a Christian perspective, I'd say you both need to change your view of marriage and your respective roles in it.

Our society and culture will say that a man's earnings are somewhat part of his definition and value ... and when that's weakened he feels like less of a man. That may be factual and circumstantial --- but it is not Biblical truth. Both of you were defined on the cross, and that's where your value was established.

You both need to view your marriage as a ministry base, and the respective earnings the funding for the ministry. As funding mechanisms go, one or the other might ebb and flow. So regardless of who is working more hours or earning more money, you both need to celebrate God's provision to your joint ministry.

Focusing on both of you viewing the union of your marriage as the ministry that God has called the both of you to. The rest will fall into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment