Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Paradigm

Dear Victorious,

If you could do one thing to shift the paradigm of materialism that seems to hold Christmas hostage every year, what would you do?

Carmen V. - Humble, TX

Dear Carmen,

Well, I'm not sure I'd agree that materialism is holding Christmas hostage every year. Those are pretty strong words. But I see your point. If I could do one thing to shift that paradigm, I guess it would be to eliminate the tradition of presents and gift giving. I'd see family celebrations without the presents --- but a focus on Christ. It would become a much more Christ-centered holiday, as opposed to a present-centered holiday. I'm not sure how the practice of presents and Santa Claus got started in the first place ... but I'm sure it wasn't from a focus on Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment