Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Blackberry Addiction?

Dear Victorious,

A guy I work with has been on my case lately about the use of my Blackberry. He says I'm addicted to it, and rags on me about how I check it in front of people or during meetings. I say there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing and it's good to stay connected. But he's escalated this to accusing me of not being a good Christian. Have you ever heard of anything so preposterous? What can I say to get this guy off my case?

Norman T. - Englewood, CO

Dear Norman,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm probably going to side with your co-worker. It is good to stay connected. But the way to do that is to be fully engaged with the people who are present. So when you're in a meeting, shut off the Blackberry and be present at that meeting. Too many people are allowing cell phones, PDA and other devices to get in between them and important relationships. Technology was supposed to make our lives better. Instead its destroying our relationships and our ability to relate to each other.

I frequently see parents in restaurants, checking their Blackberry while the children eat their food in silence. It's a missed opportunity to relate. I suspect it's the issue for your co-worker too. Look at it this way. Any time you are with someone and take a phone call, check your e-mail, etc. - you are, in effect, saying, "There may be something that I'd give higher priority to than talking with or listening to you ... so I'm going to look for that right now." Is that really the kind of message you want to send to people?

No comments:

Post a Comment