Saturday, December 26, 2009

Good Marriage

Dear Victorious,

What is the secret to a good marriage?

Dawn S. - Waterloo, IA

Dear Dawn,

It's not a secret really. It's just not obvious, and it's just not what most people would think. What makes a marriage work is two hearts that are both surrendered. Whom do they surrender to? Jesus Christ is first and foremost. Two hearts that are surrendered to Christ will undoubtedly have advantages at working through differences and handling life's challenges.

Secondly, they also must be surrendered to each other. God's Word says we are to "submit ourselves to one another." Mutual submission is a sign of love and respect toward God and toward each other. And when my heart is surrendered to my spouse, my commitment to the greater good (of the two of us) is inherently stronger than my commitment to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment