Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bible As Truth

Dear Victorious,

You always talk about the Bible as the source of all truth, but you rarely quote Scripture. Why is that?

Ted N. - Ayden, NC

Dear Ted,

I think you've really asked two questions here.

First, I consider the Bible to be the source of all truth. Christianity is based on that premise. If we don't regard the Bible as the absolute source of truth - then Christianity has no standing whatsoever. We may as well believe in anything. Considerable research has been done and many books have been written regarding the credibility of the Bible. It is inerrant ... without flaw. Moreover, life has shown it to be true time and time again, for centuries.

Second, I don't, as a rule, quote Scripture in my answers to people's questions because they usually aren't asking for specific references. The letters I get mostly are asking for practical application of Biblical principles and truths. Most of the writers already know what the Bible says on a particular subject, but they are faced with what seems to be an exception or they are trying to put something into a Biblical perspective. Quoting Scripture wouldn't be helpful. (But you can be sure I've checked to make sure my answers are Biblically based.)

No comments:

Post a Comment