Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ministry Calling

Dear Victorious,

I've been a Christian for several years now and am active in my church. Lately I've had the sense that God may be calling me to full-time ministry. Leaving my job and working in ministry is an intimidating proposition though. How can I be sure that's what God wants me to do?

Tara B. - Virginia Beach, VA

Dear Tara,

People become involved in ministry for a variety of reasons. Not all of them are good and pure. Not all of them are of God. And not all of them are obvious. How do you serve in your church today? Why do you serve in your church today? What evidence do you find that God wants to make this your profession? Feelings aren't enough; there must be hard evidence. Who else that knows you and is spiritually mature will affirm this evidence?

I believe there are a lot of people in ministry as a profession who shouldn't be. Conversely, there are a lot of people who should be in ministry who aren't. The key is what criteria both groups are using to make the decision.

Continue to engage in lay ministry as much as possible ... and wait for God to open the doors to make that more of a profession. One of my favorite authors once said that a man (or woman) shouldn't go into ministry as a profession unless they can find no peace doing anything else. I think that is sage advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment