Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday Blues

Dear Victorious,

I know that "Jesus is the reason for the season" and all that. But it just seems that every year at Christmas time I end up with the "holiday blues." And I honestly don't know why. Any advice for someone like me?

Anita R. - Burlington, VT

Dear Anita,

Of course I have advice for people like you. In fact, I think I answered this question not long ago. (See http://dearvictorious.blogspot.com/2010/11/holiday-depression.html.)

I'm not a clinician, but certainly if you live in Vermont the weather is gray and cold this time of year. I know many people experience some depression during that time of year. You may want to talk to your doctor about that.

Weather aside though, I suspect that the greatest reason people experience depression during the holidays is that Christ not at the center of their celebration and activities to prepare for the celebration. Consider that you were shopping, wrapping, decorating, cleaning, baking, planning, sending cards and doing other holiday preparations ... all for Jesus. Do you suppose your outlook might be any different?

Busy-ness is a subtle enemy of serenity. Don't let it rob you of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment