Thursday, December 16, 2010

Military Gays

Dear Victorious,

Don't you think it's a good idea to keep gays out of the military? I know they are talking about revoking the "don't-ask-don't-tell" policy. But seriously, gays would represent a distraction for most of the soldiers who are straight. Why can't our government see that gays don't belong in the military?

Earl V. - Haltom City, TX

Dear Earl,

No, I don't think it's a good idea to discriminate against anyone because of sin patterns in their life. Of course the military wouldn't allow drug addicts to serve - but only in the context of that addiction being an impediment to them doing their job. If the government could prove that homosexuality is an impediment to someone going their job, then I might be able to go along with keeping that particular gay out of the military.

But to cast a judgment on a whole people group is not only unfair, but it probably is tantamount to shooting ourselves in the foot. I've known some gays and they are often incredibly bright, capable people. As you know, I believe the Bible is clear that men and women are to fight the temptation to same-sex attraction just like they fight the temptation to steal or murder. But like I said, discriminating on the basis of someone's sin seems pretty unwise - even to a conservative like me

No comments:

Post a Comment