Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Studying Philanthropy

Dear Victorious,

I started following you on Facebook and see you making posts about philanthropy. (You were impressed recently with Oprah's giving this year.) But what good is it to follow philanthropy? I mean if you're not a philanthropist yourself, can you really learn anything by watching others give?

Mellege R. - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Dear Mellege,

I'm not sure I would agree that you or I are not philanthropists. The dictionary defines a philanthropist as anyone who is in the habit of performing charitable or benevolent actions. Society tends to take note of those who give in measures that impress us. But the true measure of a philanthropist might quite possibly just be someone who wades into the social ills of life and makes a difference. That being said, I am a philanthropist.

What can we learn from watching the philanthropy practices of others? I could fill a book answering a question like that. Many people give out of their excess. Others give out of their sacrifice. People give to different causes. And the gifts that are given may or may not have any real, tangible impact. I don't know about you, but I'd like to understand how I can give more effectively. I'd also like to know how to refine my giving so that it's in the best context possible.

There are several things that can be observed in the philanthropy of others. For example, it's been proven that financial donors are much more willing to cough up cash for dramatic emergencies than they are for prevention. Why is that? Is it possible that giving in tragedies is more rewarding? Or is it simply that the impact of giving in a crisis is more measurable? These are questions that deserve an answer. And frankly, there are many more questions just like them.

God expects His people to be cheerful givers, and to assist the poor, stand up on behalf of the needy, do unto others and all that stuff. It behoves us to be thoughtful about our obedience to God in this area. Said differently, if it's going to be done, let's be sure we do it well. The only way we can be sure we're doing anything well is if we study what we're doing and make refinements as learning is captured.

I encourage you and everyone else to start viewing yourselves as philanthropists. And start becoming a student of philanthropy. I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised at how much you don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment