Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holiday Depression

Dear Victor,

The Christmas season is upon us and I can just feel the depression coming on. Every year I get to feeling so low and so sad that I can hardly stand it. I know other people to do; apparently this is a common phenomenon. Why do people, especially Christ-followers, suffer such bouts of depression during the holiday season? Why can't we just be happy and enjoy the season?

Kendra L. - Monroe, LA

Dear Kendra,

The truth is that I don't really know why people get depressed during the holidays. I understand that depression typically has two causes, (1) chemical imbalance, physiological; or (2) situational, affected by circumstances. Personally I suspect there are some mistaken diagnoses, where things that are situational or circumstantial get treated as if they were physiological. Nevertheless, it seems obvious to me that depression which only hits during the holidays is not physiological. It is not the result of chemical imbalances.

So what are some possible causes for depression that hits only during the holidays? There may be many, but I suspect they all have their root in our belief system. Simply put, we may be believing lies and/or not believing truths. For example, we are told by our culture that Christmas is all about family and love. Frankly, that's a lie. It's all about celebrating the fact that Jesus was born to save my wretched, hopeless soul. Moreover, if my family is dysfunctional, just because it's Christmas doesn't mean they suddenly stop being dysfunctional. Only now I have a different expectation of them.

Another example (of a lie we're believing) is the notion of friends during the holidays. The images we have are friends ice skating together, exchanging big, exquisitely wrapped gifts, singing around the open fire, sharing hot cider, etc. Again, my friends and friendships are what they are. But we may have different expectations of them during the holidays, which don't get met.

An example of a truth I'm not believing, which could contribute to depression, is the fact that I am a sinner without hope of salvation. That's the truth, and that truth makes the birth of Christ all that much bigger and more meaningful to us. If, on the other hand, I still think I'm "a pretty good person," then I have denial about who I really am --- and little or no sincere appreciate for who Jesus is and what He did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment