Monday, June 7, 2010

Past Pain

Dear Victorious,

I understand that Christians are supposed to deal with their painful pasts. But honestly, some things can be so painful that you simply cannot bear to deal with it. It's kind of like a fire that's too hot to handle. I might fight a kitchen fire, for example, but wouldn't take on a fire that's too big for me to handle. Aren't there similarities to dealing with painful issues in life?

Maria E. - Tucson, AZ

Dear Maria,

No, there are not. In fact, your fire analogy isn't even true. Philippians 4:13 says that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength. That includes tackle a fire that's "too hot to handle" or deal with painful issues in life. It really comes down to a question of whether you believe Christ is sufficient. Whether I have intense pain, fear, challenge, discouragement or whatever ... I have to get to the point where I understand and believe the truth that Christ is sufficient. He is enough for me to deal with the pain, fear, challenge, discouragement, etc. There are no exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment