Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bible Translations

Dear Victor,

I know you've said that the best translation of the Bible to get is the one we'll actually read. But that being said, what do you think is the most accurate translation of the Bible?

Zachary N. - Tacoma, WA

Dear Zachary,

The English language is considered to be the most complex and comprehensive language known to mankind. So no matter what other language something is translated from, there will never be an exact match word-for-word in the English language.

We have to consider that language was originally pictographic [Remember the scrawling on the cave walls?]. This left much to the imagination and to interpretation. No words in any language have completely overcome that dynamic in language.

I've read that there is no single Greek word that has an exact equivalent in a single English word. So no translation can ever hope to reproduce completely all the shades of meaning found in the original Greek texts. I am personally then a fan of the Amplified Bible translation ... because it provides the greatest number of words to help me find context in whatever has been translated. But I am still under no illusion that this is the most accurate. (I just think it helps me understand Biblical truth better.)

Here's something to consider. It's a personal belief of mine. Because the Bible is God's inerrant Word to His people, I believe the Holy Spirit protects the integrity of that Word in any translation with any language. In other words, if I pick up any legitimate translation of the Bible (i.e., one that has been vetted and approved by Biblical scholars and theologians), I trust its integrity. I have faith that the Holy Spirit would not have allowed that translation to be produced if it were anything but the inerrant Word of God Himself. (You should trust it too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment