Thursday, June 10, 2010

Accountability Partner

Dear Victorious,

I'm thinking about getting an accountability partner. I want someone who I can meet with on a regular basis, in a relationship where we can challenge each other to grow spiritually. How do I go about doing this finding such a person?

Tim E. - Davenport, IA

Dear Tim,

I don't recommend it. There are no Biblical examples of such a relationship that I know of. Someone who is your equal or your peer is very unlikely to ever be able to help you go anywhere that they haven't been themselves. The dynamic most illustrated in the Bible - in both the Old and New Testaments - for relationships that help us grow spiritually and emotionally is quite different than anything you would call a "partnership."

From Moses and Joshua to Jesus and the disciples, the dynamic most modeled is one of submission to authority that God places in our lives. So if you really want to grow, I recommend that you find someone who is at least as spiritually mature as you are ... but preferably more so. I recommend that this individual have more victory in the areas of life that challenge you than you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment