Sunday, June 13, 2010

God's Love

Dear Victorious,

I was reading in the Bible recently where it says that God withdrew His love from someone. I thought we could never lose our salvation. What's going on here? Is God's love for us eternal or is it not?

Harry H. - Waterloo, IA

Dear Harry,

You didn't specify where you read this in the Bible, but I'll guess it might have been 2 Samuel 7:15, where God says to King David, "my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you."

King Saul had been chosen by God to be Israel's king. He was anointed and ordained by God. The problem arose when he turned from God and began doing things His own way. God loves everyone ... in context. By that I mean He loves even the people who go to hell. But He removes His love for us when we aren't open to it, don't want it and reject it.

It's been said that God is the perfect gentleman ... He doesn't force Himself on anyone. So here's the better question to ask, if someone can become a Christian, "get saved," and then turn their back on God, what really happened? I would argue (and others along with me) that if you can possibly turn your back on God you never had your salvation in the first place.

Nothing can separate us from the true love of God - unless we never really had it in the first place. Don't worry about losing your salvation. Instead, focus on the sincerity and authenticity of your commitment to Christ. If that's real ... you have nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment