Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cosmetic Surgery

Dear Victorious,

My husband thinks I should get breast enlargement surgery. I've always been small in that way, and it's caused me to have a lack of confidence in myself much of the time. Is it okay for Christians to have such procedures done?

Nadine M. - Las Vegas, NV

Dear Nadine,

Let me put it this way, having cosmetic surgery isn't a right or wrong thing for a Christ-follower to do. The real criteria that you use to make a decision like this is the condition of your heart. In other words, what's your motive? Is it a God-honoring motive? Or is it a selfish, sinful motive? Is it a motive that is based on worldly (versus kingdom) values? Those are the questions you need to answer.

I expect there are probably instances where God would give someone permission to have cosmetic surgery. But it will not be because they have "always been small in that way" or because they want to be more attractive. Have you prayed about this with your husband? Have you sought wise counsel from godly people who know you? Do this and let me know what God says.

No comments:

Post a Comment