Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Advice

Do you have any particular advice for the New Year? I'm not talking about how to make effective resolutions or anything. But is there some realistic coaching you could offer an average Christian for the New Year?

Yes, I do! John Wesley was an English preacher and founder of the Methodist church movement. He is credited with a New Year's Prayer that I have been fond of for years.

"I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to whatever Thou wilt. Rank me with whomever Thou wilt. Put me to doing; put me to suffering; let me be employed for Thee; or laid aside for Thee; exalted for Thee or brought low for Thee. Let me be full; let me be empty. Let me have all things; let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to Thy pleasure and disposal. And now O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Thine are mine and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which we have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen"

What does this mean in layman's terms that people today can understand? Try this as your prayer for the New Year:

Dear Lord God,

I am no longer my own - but I belong to You, Lord.
Use me however You want to.
Place me among whomever You want.
Put me to doing or to suffering whatever You want.

Let me be used by You; or laid aside for You.
Let me be successful for You, or live lowly for You.
Let me be full; or let me be empty.
Let me have all things; or let me have nothing.

I freely and heartily yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal, Lord.
(By choice, I want only Your will and pleasure in my life.)

And now, oh glorious and blessed God, my Father, the Son and Holy Spirit - You are mine and I am yours. So be it. And the covenant You and I have made here on earth, let it be ratified in heaven today.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment