Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Biblical Worship

Q: Is there a Biblical perspective on different styles of worship or different genre of Christian music? If so, can you provide a good example of a song that meets the criteria?

A: Yes, I think there is a Biblical perspective on every style of worship or genre of music that purports to be Christian. The two most important that I can think of are that it should be from the heart and that it should be grounded in God's Truth.

I'm usually okay with just about any sort of worship or Christian music, providing that it is respectful of God (grounded in God's Truth) and that it says something relevant (from the heart or speaking to the heart).

"It Is Well With My Soul" is an old hymn that I believe really meets this criteria. Of the more modern contemporary songs, "You Spread Out the Skies" (By Chris Tomlin) is another that I believe meets the criteria.

There are probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of songs that
Christians sing or listen to, or have at one time. I would guess that most of them are appropriate for us today. But watch out for any song that lacks respect and reverence for God, or a song that says anything other than what is true ... as measured by God's own Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment