Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Masturbation

Dear Victorious,

I've heard you say that we can find anything in the Bible that we might encounter in life. (I got to your church.) But you've also written that the Bible doesn't specifically prohibit masturbation. Isn't that a contradiction? Either the Bible mentions it or it doesn't. Right?

T.J. - Frisco, TX

Dear T.J.

I don't normally answer letters that refuse to identify themselves (and initials don't cut it with me). But I see the point of your letter and sense that it's sincere. So here goes.

The Bible does not specifically prohibit masturbation, but that doesn't mean the Bible is silent on the subject. Consider, for example, Genesis 38:9-10. In this story, a brother is forced to sleep with the widow of his brother. Realizing that he won't get credit for the child, he "spills his semen on the ground." It would be taking it out of context to say that God was displeased with him. But look at what verse 10 says, "What he did was wicked in the Lord's sight ..."

While I can't say for sure, I suspect at least part of the wickedness was denying the woman conception. But having an orgasm without the relationship, the commitment, the intent, etc. also appear to play in the wickedness of the act. Quite honestly, I'm can't envision the circumstance where any man (or woman) could climax in a sexual act that would be any less wicked in God's eyes. If you can, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment