Monday, October 11, 2010

Family Dysfunction

Dear Victorious,

I grew up in a dysfunctional family. Seriously, my parents and grandparents were just really messed up. As an adult, I struggle. I see that much of the bad habits and flawed thinking I have were given to me by my parents. So what does God really expect of me then? How does He expect me to life a virtuous life when He gave me such flawed parents?

Dillon G. - Cape Girardeau, MO

Dear Dillon,

Your parents may have given you a lasting legacy of bad habits, flawed thinking or addictive behaviors. But you are responsible for who you are as an adult. You must take full ownership of your own sin, weaknesses and flaws.

God judges each person individually. Although we may suffer from the effects of the sin of others, that is never punishment from God being inflicted on us. Each person is accountable to God for their own behavior.

So the thing is that God understands the dysfunctional parenting you had growing up. But He also understands that you now can choose who you are - and who you aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment