Friday, July 10, 2009

What To Know

Dear Victorious,

There seems to be a lot that Christians need to learn. What is the most important thing for Christians to learn or know?

Amanda S. - Littleton, CO

Dear Amanda,

I would say that there are three, maybe four things that true Christ-followers must know.

1. Who we are: members of God's family. His chosen ones.
2. Who we are becoming: reflections of God Himself.
3. What we have: (a) victory over sin, (b) love for others and (c) confidence before God.

I guess that's just the three. The fourth thing I was thinking of is actually just expounding on 3.(a) above.

1 John 3:6 tells us, "No one who lives in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen Him or known Him." Similarly, 1 John 3:8 continues, "He who does what is sinful is of the devil; ..."

What this means is we truly have victory over sin. That is evidence of the Christ in us. Before I followed Christ I embraced my sinful ways. I would, for example, plan with my friends to go out drinking. It was my plan to sin. Today I am still a sinner - but it is my plan to live righteously. When I sin, I am aware of it, ashamed of it, grieved by it and I want to turn from it. That is evidence of the Christ in us. Truly, when we draw close to Him - He gives us victory over sin.

I believe that is one of the most misunderstood aspects of Christianity. And if true Christ followers could just grasp that one thing - their lives would start to look radically different.

No comments:

Post a Comment