Friday, July 3, 2009

Forgiving Homosexuality

Dear Victorious,

So I understand that the Bible forbids homosexuality, and that you believe those who proclaim themselves as gay or lesbian are merely deceived by their temptations. But do you think God forgives them for that? Will we see openly gay and lesbian people in heaven?

Arnie T. - San Clemente, CA

Dear Arnie,

The Bible says that homosexual activity is an abomination. Jesus said that if we commit adultery in our minds, it's as bad as if we'd committed it physically. So I understand the person who is tempted with same-sex attraction to be doubly damned. It's a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

On the other hand, I also understand that God's grace and forgiveness are far bigger than any of us can even begin to comprehend. Only God knows the true intent of one's heart - and I believe that is what He will measure as He checks us into heaven (or hell). I won't be surprised to find people whom I thought were gay or lesbian in heaven one day. But it won't be because God condoned or even tolerated their choice of a homosexual lifestyle. It will be because He saw the (repentant) condition of their hearts and was compelled by love to forgive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment