Monday, July 13, 2009

Second Coming

Dear Victorious,

I hear Christians talk about how much they are looking forward to Jesus' second coming. It's spoken of as a day of judgment in the Bible though, so I wonder if it will really be that wonderful for Christians. After all - we stand to be judged too! Even if it weren't judgment day though, I still have trouble thinking of a time when I will be glad to leave behind all the things I love about this earth and life on it. I've always been an optimist and don't see things as that bad here. How can Christians sincerely look forward to this second coming?

Arthur Z. - El Paso, TX

Dear Arthur,

Even if you are an optimist (and I'm not sure we would all agree on what that means), you can still look forward to the day of Christ's return. There are three simple reasons to do so.

1. It will be the end of sin. Period.
2. It will be the beginning of a face-to-face relationship with Jesus Christ, God Himself.
3. Everything we will leave behind in this world will pale in comparison to the first two things.

This last one is perhaps the clincher for you. Think of the things you hold dear and enjoy - the things you don't imagine you'd ever be glad to give up. Then understand that the first two reasons I just gave you are so much better that you'll not even be mindful of what you're not taking with you!

It is an abstract notion, I agree. The best way to get your mind around it is to spend time contemplating what the end of sin will be like. Consider all the pain that sin causes in this world. And contemplate what it will be like to have a face-to-face relationship with Jesus Christ that will never end. As you focus on the glory of these two things, letting go of your present day circumstances will become easier. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment