Friday, April 17, 2009

Jewish Convert

Dear Victorious,

I was raised in a Christian home and have always considered myself a Christian. My fiance is Jewish and insists that I convert to Judaism. I have agreed, but lately find myself wondering if I've really thought this through. What do you think of a Christian converting to the Jewish faith?

Ready To Convert

Dear Ready,

I think it is heresy and you are woefully ignorant about the truth. In order for a Christian to genuinely convert to the Jewish faith, he (or she) would be blatantly taking a public stand to state emphatically that Jesus Christ is not the Messiah that He claimed to be. The Bible defines this as an unforgivable sin (blasphemy against the Holy Spirit). If you truly can do that, then you were never a Christian in the first place.

You are in very dangerous territory, my friend. This is your eternity you are playing with. You would be wise to examine the facts and not make decisions based on your current romantic passion. True Christ-followers are told in the Bible not to be 'unequally yoked.' This means that we should never marry or even be in intimate relationship with anyone who doesn't share our core values. In fact, if you're a Christ-follower, you shouldn't even be dating a Jewish woman, let alone be marrying her.

You can say you are a Christian all day long, but I learned something long ago about that. People will usually struggle to do what they say --- but they will always do what they believe. Even Jesus said that not everyone who claims to be a Christian will see the kingdom of heaven. That means there will be many so-called, self-professed Christians in hell one day. You need to ask yourself if you could be one of them.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you did ask. If you can marry this woman and convert to the Jewish faith, you were never a Christ-follower in the first place. On the other hand, if your fiance made a sincere conversion to Christianity she could bring her Jewish traditions with her and you could both be eternally saved and live with Christ forever. That would be the only possible scenario I would ever consider if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment