Saturday, April 18, 2009

Giving Money

Dear Victorious,

It seems that we are inundated these days with requests from charities to give money for worthy causes. I know the economy is bad and worthwhile charities are struggling with reduced revenues. But I have my own problems and can't give to everything that I am asked to give to. In fact, it seems that the more I give, the more I am asked to give. I find myself getting angry with these requests, and then I feel guilty for getting angry. What should I do?

Fatigued Donor

Dear Fatigued,

Your problem is you are reacting to the circumstances instead of responding to the truth. God is in control of your money. He owns it all. You are merely the obedient steward. The only criteria you should use when giving money to others is whether or not God wants you to give it. Seriously, you need to take each request in prayer to the Lord. What you will then find is that He more often than not says no.

God doesn't call us to give to everyone who asks. Even if they are worthwhile causes, He may intend to provide for them through other people besides you. He may not want them to have this money just now. It is impossible to know God's purposes in every single situation. But we can know if He wants us to be involved in every situation. We simply have to ask.

"Dear Lord, I have this request for money, time, materials, etc. What do you want me to do with it? Should I give them what they're asking for? Should I give them something else? Should I not give at this time? Please lead my thinking on this Lord, because I want you to be the center of my giving. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen."

That is your sincere prayer. Then don't do anything until the Lord answers your prayer by leading your thinking and giving you a firm conclusion about what to do. If you will get on your knees and let God make the decisions, I promise you the guilt and anger will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment