Sunday, March 22, 2009

Evil President

Dear Victorious,

My sister-in-law says that President Obama is evil. She says he could even be the Antichrist. I didn't vote for him, but honestly, how can I respond to such nonsense?

Republican

Dear Republican,

I've heard others make similar analogies. They usually do so when we find a public leader with a smooth style. I'm not sure what motivates them. But my Bible tells me that the Holy Spirit will give me discernment. In other words, when I am confronted with the Antichrist, I won't have to wonder if it's really him. I'll know for sure! That such people, even so-called Christians would label someone this way really smacks of ignorance at best. At worst, it calls their own character into question.

You don't have to have voted for President Obama to defend him. As Christians, we are called to submit to and respect the authority of our leaders. God's Word tells us that no one leads a government unless God allows it. So as Christians, we are definitely called to submit to and respect the authority of President Obama - whether or not we voted for him.

That's one of the odd things about democracy that people seem to miss --- when things don't go your way, you still have to cooperate because they went the way of the popular majority. Sometimes I wonder if people don't confuse democracy and think it's something like a "me-mocracy!"

If your sister-in-law is a Christian, tell her it's hard to see the Christ in her when she spews such venom about others. Ask her to speak only what the Holy Spirit prayerfully leads her to speak. And if she doesn't cooperate, stop listening to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment