Thursday, March 26, 2009

American Idol

Dear Victorious,

What do you think of "American Idol," the TV show? Simon Cowell is so nasty. Why would sane, rational people subject themselves to such degradation and humiliation?

Fan (but disgusted)

Dear Fan,

Quite honestly, I like the show. I similarly like "America's Got Talent." Shows like these give us an opportunity to see fresh faces and fresh acts. They're not choreographed like some machine. They don't leave me with that feeling that I've just been duped, like I get when I watch someone like Michael Jackson or Brittney Spears.

Yes, Simon is nasty. Biblically, he is quite guilty of violating the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself. I don't get the impression that Simon uses the Bible as his guide though. The bottom line is that the contestants know about Simon's nastiness when they decide to try out for the show. So I can only conclude that they've decided the chance at stardom, and the opportunity for national exposure are worth the degradation and humiliation they are likely to experience.

It reminds me of an old tale of people who would be challenged to do something for money. Usually the challenge was something ridiculous - like walk down main street naked. But for most people, there was a price point. I think that is probably true of most of us. Certainly not Biblical. Not anything to be proud of. But if we're honest, there is some price at which we'll be willing to put up with almost anything. And such a reality results in shows like "American Idol."

No comments:

Post a Comment