Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pushy Sales People

Dear Victorious,

What do you think of pushy sales people? I mean the kind that sell used cars or time shares. We're told to love our neighbor as ourselves, but these people are really difficult to love. They are absolutely offensive!

Fed Up

Dear Fed Up,

I know what you mean. I tire of sleazy sales people too. But there are two things we need to keep in mind here. First of all, not all sales people are slimy and sleazy. Some are first rate professionals. (Some of those are my friends!) I've had pleasant experiences buying cars, buying real estate and even buying RV's from people whom I thought were quite professional. (Notice that I said 'bought.')

The second thing to keep in mind is that these people are worthy of our forgiveness. No matter how offensive we may find them to be, most of them are individuals, created in God's own image. As such, they are worthy of our love. How do you love them? I think we start with the forgiveness. We forgive them for offending us. We forgive them for being ignorant of better sales practices. Along with forgiveness comes grace. We show them the grace that the Father shows to us. It is a grace that transcends understanding. You may need the Holy Spirit's help to show it!

If you think about how we love ourselves - we are (at least most of us) acutely aware of our faults, flaws and shortcomings. And we love ourselves in spite of those facts. In this way, it is how we love sleazy sales people who offend us.

No comments:

Post a Comment