Monday, November 9, 2009

Hearing God

Dear Victorious,

I often hear Christians saying that God spoke to them about this or that. I've never found that God speaks to me. I've always just assumed that some people are more religious than others, or that God speaks to all of us differently. But lately I've begun to wonder if this is correct. Is it right that God would speak so clearly to some - and be silent with others?

Vernon L. - Sparks, NV

Dear Vernon,

No, it isn't right. God is not silent. He has much to say. In fact, in these troubled times, it could be argued that we need to hear from God now more than ever before in the history of mankind. I hear people say that God doesn't speak to them. Some of them are people whom I dearly love. As I have prayed for those people, God has taken me to a Scripture reference. Let me share it with you.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, ... (Jeremiah 29:13-14)

What does this mean? It means that when we are seeking God with all of our heart, our soul, our mind and our time, He will be found. He will be heard. Let's be clear that God has much to say to all of us about our lifestyles, about our love styles and much more. But He is not found in the elaborate, sensational spiritual highs. He is found in the quiet whispers - of reading your Bible, of prayer, and even of fellowship with other Christ-followers.

When someone doesn't believe God speaks to them, they either need to pursue Him more - or they are discounting (i.e., not liking) what He is saying to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment