Thursday, November 12, 2009

Forgiven Divorce?

Dear Victorious,

I read your responses on marriage and divorce this week. So are you saying divorce isn't forgiven? Does God expect us to just tolerate anything our spouse wants to dish out? I can't believe in a God that would have such a ridiculous point of view!

Mark H. - Harrisburg, PA

Dear Mark,

No, that's now what I said at all. Certainly God can forgive a divorce. In fact, He may not even have to. I believe God would give someone permission to exit a marriage - where circumstances warrant it. (I've seen such a situation myself.) Mutual submission does not allow for abuse. So healthy boundaries are drawn in a marriage. If they are reasonable and not respected, then certainly action needs to be taken.

Again, we're getting caught up in the rules here. Marriage is not a rules-based game. It is a heart-based game. We cannot make decisions based on how awful one's spouse is or isn't. Rather decisions must be made based on God's will.

(Golly ... we are getting a lot of marriage discussion this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment