Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Empty Holiday

Dear Victor,

I don't have any living relatives and am all alone in this world. I'm retired and don't really have any close friends. I sit and wait for someone to invite me ... it would be wonderful to be included in family celebrations. What is someone to do in my situation?

Len V. - Richardson, TX

Dear Len,

I guess what someone in your situation should do is not sit and wait for others to make your holidays meaningful. Identify others who are in your situation. Seriously ... make a list of people you know who don't have anyone or are in circumstances where they won't be with anyone for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years or any other holiday. Then invite all of them to your place.

You get the meat and ask each of them to bring something. Make it a party and invite only people who are alone and don't have anyone. If you don't know enough, ask your church or ask around your neighbors. Tell people you know that you're looking for people to invite and see if they have suggestions.

The point is to turn your focus to serving and loving others. (I be you'll find it's the best holiday ever!)

No comments:

Post a Comment