Friday, November 13, 2009

Constant Prayer

Dear Victorious,

I know the Bible says that we are to "pray without ceasing." Of course that is impossible in our modern culture. What do you think God realistically expects of us in this area?

Nathan C. - Flagstaff, AZ

Dear Nathan,

I don't agree that what the Bible tells us to do could be impossible in any culture. No matter how convincing the circumstances may be, God would tell us to do something that is impossible. Moreover, God would not lower His expectations of us to match the cultural challenges that we think we face. (We know these things because of the unchanging character and nature of God.)

So, what does God really expect of us in the area of "prayer without ceasing?" At least a whole sermon could be preached to answer this question. But I believe it we can boil it down to two lines of thinking.

First, God expects us to be willing to surrender each and every decision we make to His authority. He gives mankind free will. But as devoted slaves of Christ, He asks us to give up that free will. So I need to consider everything in the context of, "Do I have permission to do this." Or I might ask, "Lord, which way to you want me to go here?"

Second, God expects us to be so in touch with Him on a daily basis that we consider His perspective and have His influence on all of our thinking throughout the day. We acknowledge His presence, His power and His will in everything we do. And I don't mean just say it. Rather I need to praying, if only in my mind, even when I am in conversations with others - so that I have God's perspective on each situation throughout the day.

Praying without ceasing may seem like an impossible task. Truly it is not. We can stop, even in the most urgent of circumstances, and simply ask God what He sees or hears - and what He thinks of the situation or circumstance that we find ourselves dealing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment