Friday, September 24, 2010

Learn To Pray

Dear Victor,

I want to be better at prayer. Seriously, I'd like to become a real prayer warrior. I've seen some people pray and it seems like they pray with all the power and zeal of an angel of God. I guess maybe it's a gift some people have. I don't think I have it. But the question is could I acquire that gift in some way? Is there a class or book you'd recommend for someone who wants to be better at prayer?

Charlene M. - Springfield, MO


Dear Charlene,

I don't think prayer can really be taught by principles or rules, or learned through seminars or books. Rather prayer has to be developed out of a heartfelt need and desire. If I say, for example, "I ought to pray ..." (about anything) I will soon run out of motivation and probably quit praying.

Effective prayer that comes from the heart works just the opposite way though. The more we pray the more we sense the need to pray - and the more desire we have to pray. So if you want to be better at prayer, look at the condition of your heart. What are the things that you care about? Are they the things God cares about?

I'm aware that there are all kinds of books, seminars and other formats that purport to teach us how to pray. However, I will argue that heartfelt need that is aligned with God's heart will trump those every time. We should just view prayer as that time of communing my heart with God's over things that we both care deeply about.

No comments:

Post a Comment