Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bible Reading

Dear Victorious,

I know that we are supposed to read our Bibles every single day. Honestly I try, but I just can't seem to get this habit firmly established. Do you have any advice on how I can get there?

Ted M. - Celina, TX

Dear Ted,

What worked for me was to start small. I picked up a pocket devotional, with a short page and Bible verse to be read each day. It took me about a year or so to get that habit established, where I could do that daily. Eventually I "graduated" up to my Bible. My teen-age son recently started something called the "One Minute Bible." It's actually a devotional that can be read in a minute each day. I'm surprised at his faithfulness to read it. Taking small steps like this does wonders to build the habit.

You can buy all sorts of daily devotional books at any Christian book store or kiosk. But two that I recommend are also available on-line. They are:

My Utmost for His Highest - by Oswald Chambers
http://www.myutmost.org/

Insight for Leaders - by A. W. Tozer
http://www.litmin.org/tozer.php?t=27

No comments:

Post a Comment