Saturday, August 7, 2010

Philanthropy

Dear Victorious,

I saw that you waded into the foray of billionaires pledging to give half of their wealth to charity. So I get that you don't think this is really impressive because it's not really generous. You said, if I understand you correctly, that it would have to hurt before anyone's giving could be considered generous. Just suppose for a the sake of argument, that the world agrees with you. Then what would change the world? If not the social causes that philanthropists support, how could we successfully address social issues in the world today?

Marvin T. - Dallas, TX

Dear Marvin,

That's just it. I don't believe social problems can be solved with money. They can't be solved with influence either. They need to be solved with Biblical love. We seem to get confused and think that because someone gives money or time to a cause, that they care about it.

The Bible says we are to love our neighbor as we ourselves would like to be loved. We know that corruption, inefficiency and poor organization can overwhelm all the money in the world ... and render it ineffective in helping anyone. So frankly, if I'm starving, I don't just want someone to throw money at me. Rather take me in your home, love on me, enter into a deep relationship with me. Care for me. Nurture me. Feed me. Teach me. Disciple me. That is how I would like to be loved. I don't just want money to buy food.

Like I said (in my main blog) the other day, the world seriously needs to take a hard look at how we define philanthropy. In fact, I propose that we do away with philanthropy. It would be better if become lovers of others than great philanthropists.

No comments:

Post a Comment