Monday, May 18, 2009

Celebrity Admiration

Dear Victorious,

You seem to disapprove of celebrities in general. (You've written negatively about Britney Spears, for example.) Are there any (living) celebrities that you admire?

Hollywood Fan

Dear Hollywood,

I don't think it's fair to say that I disapprove of celebrities in general. The majority of them just tend not to exhibit virtues that I myself would aspire to - or agree with. The truth of the matter is that there are several celebrities I admire.

Cher and Madonna both have exhibited an amazing ability to reinvent themselves - over and over again. They are good performers and know how to work an opportunity. I admire that. I don't agree with their morals, and I don't appreciate all of their music. But I wish each of us could develop their ability to reinvent ourselves.

Bill Cosby and Denzel Washington both exhibit strong family values. While both have been wildly successful and are insanely wealthy - both have remained true to their wives. Neither has tried to milk the situation they find themselves in. Instead they go about their business, being quiet examples of true gentlemen. I wish more of us had their charm and charisma, coupled with their strong sense of family values.

Maybe you see the pattern here. It is the celebrity with a remarkable ability or virtuous values that attracts me the most. Come to think of it, whether they're celebrities or not - those are typically the people I'm naturally excited about ... the ones with strong abilities and strong, virtuous values.

No comments:

Post a Comment