Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Leave A Legacy

Our preacher preached this weekend on leaving a legacy. As you might expect, he focused on good versus bad legacies, and encouraged us to focus on leaving a good legacy - of building into other people (instead of things). If I'm already volunteering and serving, what more can I do to leave a good legacy?

Martin V. - Frisco, TX

Dear Martin,

It sounds like you and I may have attended the same church this past Sunday. I heard a sermon like that too! I've heard the sermons and the songs about leaving a legacy that's worth leaving. But I think we miss something pretty important here.

I'd rather leave God's legacy than one of my own. Frankly, I don't care if anyone remembers me when I'm gone. I'd much rather they be more focused on God when I'm gone. That's the only legacy I'd like to leave!

So while the preacher can exhort you to build your own legacy, I will exhort you to build God's legacy instead. Don't worry about how much you volunteer, or how much so-called quality time you spend with your children. Instead think about how much Jesus people see in you. Are you a good window for them to see and experience the love of Christ? That is the legacy that's most worth leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment