Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gay Marriage

Dear Victor,

What do you think about same-sex marriage and domestic partner benefits?

Nancy R. - Louisville, KY

Dear Nancy,

I believe they are separate issues. I don't believe in same-sex marriage. God defined marriage as being between one man and one woman. So if I were in charge of the world, people would not be legally allowed to marry someone of the same sex. That being said, I believe the concept of domestic partnership is an entirely different matter. How I choose to define my family is not a matter for the law. If I want to leave assets to someone, or share benefits with someone, I don't believe it is a matter for the state. So if I were in charge of the world, I would recognize the right of individuals to choose and protect their legal rights in that light.

To be sure, homosexuality is not God's way. But our country promises everyone the right to choose. That doesn't require that we condone or affirm a religious institution like marriage in any context other than the way God defined it. But it does require that we defend the basic rights of all human beings to live as they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment