Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Love You All

Dear Victorious,

We often hear celebrities talk about how much they love their fans. They'll be on stage and say something like, "I love you all" or, "I love all my loyal fans." Do you think it's true? Could they really love their fans as they say they do?

Loyal Fan

Dear Loyal,

I doubt it. Much of the value of what a celebrity says is held in the meaning of the word "love." Think about the relationship between a celebrity and and the fans. The celebrity does something once ... like record a song. Then we celebrate them for years and years. And we pay them for that song for years and years. Or the celebrity films a movie or TV show. They get paid to do it up front. And then we talk about it, celebrate them and continue to pay them for it for years and years. It's a bit of a one-sided relationship in terms of money. Admittedly, the celebrity's feat, aided by media, entertains us for years and years. But what they did they only did once --- and they were well paid for it.

If I did something for you once, and got paid handsomely for it --- would you think I love you? So what's the truth of the situation? My guess is a more truthful statement would be something like, "I'm so grateful for my loyal fans." We don't hear celebrities use those words much; they seem to like the world "love" a great deal more. It sounds so much more endearing too! At best, the celebrities are grateful. At worst, they may be selfish, self-centered and just enamored with the fact that they have fans. But in most cases, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and call them grateful for all their loyal fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment