Saturday, May 16, 2009

Idol Worship

Dear Victorious,

We read so much in the Bible about the notion of worshipping idols. But honestly, I don't see people gathering around golden calves or shrines today in Christianity. Isn't this really a thing of the past?

True Worshipper

Dear True,

An idol can be, in the biblical sense, anything that is referenced more than God. It can be anything that I treat as reverently as I treat God (or perhaps even more so). What in my life gets higher priority than God? For some, it may be sports. For others it may be sleep, and so forth. Money, convenience, entertainment, TV, exercise, recognition and our children can all fall into this category. Many is the time I've heard someone say something like, "My children are my life." This is very dangerous territory to be in! If your children, sports, hobbies, work or anything else are your life - then it leaves little room for the true worship of God. This only occurs when these false idols are worshipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment