Thursday, February 17, 2011

Being Reconciled

Q: If you've offended someone, what should you do about that? And does it matter if you did it intentionally or not?

A: In Matthew 5:23-24, Jesus told us that God doesn't want our worship unless all of our earthly relationships are reconciled. So if I am aware that someone is offended by something that I did or didn't do, I have a God-ordained obligation to go to them and offer an apology - as well as whatever else I might be able to do to make it right.

It doesn't matter whether I offended them intentionally or not. In fact, it doesn't even matter if they should be offended or not. Perhaps I or others think they have overreacted or been too sensitive. Even if that were true, it wouldn't changes God's will for me to attempt to be reconciled. It doesn't matter if they deserved it (the offense), whether they've done the same thing to me in the past, or whatever.

Simply put, as a Christ-follower, I have a God-ordained obligation to do whatever I can to be reconciled to everyone at all times. If I am aware of an incidence where I'm not, then God doesn't even want me to worship Him until I've addressed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment