Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Unforgiveable Sin

Dear Victor,

Not too long ago, some asked you about the unforgivable sin. Where is that in the Bible? Even though I read your answer, I still don't understand. It seems like the unforgivable sin could be committed without one realizing they had committed it. But our pastors says not to worry - if you're worried about having committed it then you certainly didn't. That just confuses me more. Help!

Norman P. - Tulsa, OK

Dear Norman,

The Scripture passages you want to look at are probably Matthew 12:31-32 and Mark 3:22-30. Jesus said specifically in both passages that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the sin which will not be forgiven.

Most of us might think of blasphemy as specifically saying things against the Holy Spirit. For example, cursing God might be considered blasphemy in our culture. However, if you look at the proper definition of the word (http://www.dictionary.com/) you'll find there are at least three accurate meanings of the word.

1. Speaking or acting against God and/or the things of God.
2. Assuming for oneself the rights or qualities of God.
3. Irreverent or disrespectful of God or the things of God.

So how then would someone blaspheme the Holy Spirit? Well, the Holy Spirit is God, so basically blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the same as blaspheming God. Now most people tend to think in the narrowest terms when it comes to sin. In other words, if there is an unforgivable sin, we want to define it as narrowly as possible ... to minimize the chances that we could be guilty of it.

But let's assume, for the sake of argument, that I love the Lord, worship Him and am proud to call myself a Christian. It's not likely that I'd fit that first definition of blasphemy above. But, there are many people walking around today - calling themselves Christians, who should probably consider whether they're guilty of blasphemy in the other definitions, especially the latter one.

Consider, for example, that the Holy Spirit tells you to do something. You heard it. You knew it was Him. And you didn't do it. That would be blatant disobedience on your part. Might it not also be blasphemy - disregarding what the Holy Spirit told you? I know, you're probably saying, "Well I had my reasons!" The only question is whether or not God would agree with your reasons for disobeying Him. If He does, then you're off the hook. If He doesn't, then that may be quite another matter entirely!

The thing is, I don't know if you or I have committed the unpardonable sin or not. But I need to take a sobering look at the definition of that sin, and consider all the possible ways that I could commit it. I obviously don't blatantly speak against God. And I clearly don't claim to be God or deny that there is God. But if I have an improper regard for God and His ways, than am I really any better than any other who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment