Monday, July 12, 2010

Miley Cyrus

Dear Victorious,

Do you think Miley Cyrus is a Christian? I love her music but my Mom says I shouldn't be listening to her because she's not a true Christian.

Kimberly E. - Evansville, IN

Dear Kimberly,

I believe Miley Cyrus has been public about her profession of faith - indicating that she considers herself a Christian. However, many mature Christians would question her faith because many of her actions and words lack the fruit of a true Christian. Put another way, true Christ-followers tend to exhibit modesty, respect, and adhere to standards of behavior that are lacking in Miley Cyrus' public persona.

Philippians 4:8 tells us to focus on things that are "excellent and worthy of praise." I believe that Miley Cyrus, as well as a number of other popular entertainers in our culture, would fall short of that criteria. So I recommend you listen to your mother and apply more discernment to your likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment