Thursday, July 1, 2010

Best Advice

Dear Victorious,

What's the best advice you've ever received yourself? What made it so valuable?

Carla D. - Worthington, OH

Dear Carla,

I suppose the best advice I've ever received was godly in nature, and advice that I actually took and used to make my decision. I know that may seem overly broad, but let me illustrate with an example.

One time I had a deep conflict with a group at my church. A close friend helped me put my thoughts in writing, including editing the document to make sure it was truthful and not biased. When it came time to send it, I asked if he thought I should send it. His advice was, "... only if you can be sure they will hear what you have to say." As I reflected on that, I concluded that I would not send it --- and never did. Even today, I'm certain that was the right decision.

What made that advice valuable is that it was drawn from his understanding of Biblical principles ... and the fact that I actually took it to heart and used it as decision criteria. If either of those things had not been true, the advice would have not been worth much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment