Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Always Right?

Dear Victorious,

You always seem to answer questions as if you think you're right. Are you always right? Do any of your answers ever get challenged and proven wrong? If so, why isn't that revealed on your blog?

Herman N. - Naperville, IL

Dear Herman,

I answer questions "as if" I'm right because I think people are writing to ask my opinion or my thinking on something. I'm not a Biblical scholar and don't possess any credentials that would position me as an authoritative expert. Yet people ask me their questions. You have to wonder why they are doing that!

My ignorance is vast. In fact the older I get the more aware of my own ignorance I become. But I work hard to get it right. I study my Bible, pray and read voraciously myself. Frankly, I think of myself as a truth-seeker, who always allows for the possibility that I could be wrong (about anything).

The strongest opposition I've had from anyone who was serious came in the form of accusations such as, "You always think you're right." Unfortunately, the individuals making such accusations were not willing to show me where I might be wrong.

More often than not, I am right. Some people - perhaps you among them - just don't like that fact. But let's face it, if I'm right, it's not because I'm so smart or know it all. It's because I've sought God's truth and He's graciously allowed me to have that truth.

I pray regularly that God will let me see things with His eyes, hear things with His ears and even think about things with His mind and His perspective. I also specifically ask God to show me the truth about things, reveal Himself to me, let me see things His way, etc. Those are prayers that I think He is happy to answer.

So no, I'm not always right. And even when I am, God gets the credit for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment