Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wives Submit

Dear Victorious,

I have been trying to teach my wife to submit to my authority, but she is stubborn and simply refuses. How can I make her understand that God requires this of her? Her rebellion is ruining our marriage?

Hyman G. - Johannesburg, S. Africa

Dear Hyman,

You really haven't given me enough information to answer your question. In general, the husband is called to be the head of the household. The wife is called to respect and revere him the same as she would Jesus Christ. On the flip side, however, the husband is to lead like Jesus Christ. Women who have Christ-like husbands generally describe it as being a joy to submit to his authority and leadership in their marriage.

So what is wrong is in your situation? It could be your wife's sinful rebellion. It could be your failure to lead like Jesus. It could be both. Like I said, I really don't have enough information to say. I would recommend that you and your wife both take a hard look at what the Bible prescribes for husbands and wives and marriage relationships. I would start with the 5th chapter of Ephesians.

Let us be clear here. That your wife refuses to submit to you is in part your own responsibility. Ephesians 5 basically says that it is the husband's responsibility to make his wife a better person. Put another way, God expects you to help bring out the best in your wife. The more you can focus on your own responsibility in this conflict, the more successful I suspect you will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment