Friday, March 4, 2011

True Christian?

Q: Is there a good test for knowing if you're truly saved? I mean I know I was saved when I gave my life to Christ. But is there something one could look at as a sort of barometer to know how you're doing as a Christian?

A: Well only God knows for sure because only God knows the true condition of each heart. You say that you gave your life to Christ. Is there tangible evidence of that? Are the choices you make and the life you're living radically different since you did that? Where have you yielded your own will to the will of Christ?

I'm not aware of any true litmus test to see how one is doing as a Christian. But you are wise to be asking the question. True Christians can be defined in a number of ways, depending on who you talk to. But the best proof is to examine yourself and your life regularly. True Christians, in my humble opinion, live examined lives. They're constantly holding their lives up to the image of Christ to see how they measure up. Over time, your life should look more and more like that of Christ.

For some good 'litmus paper' on this subject, I'd recommend you read Matthew 5-9. These chapters start where Jesus is preaching His famous Sermon on the Mount and in them He gives us what we know as The Beatitudes. Overall, it's Jesus' prescription for successful Christian living. So if you want to live an examined life, start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment