Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nehemiah Lessons

Q: Our small group at church is doing a study of the book of Nehemiah. We're almost finished, and frankly I'm not sure that I get the point. I mean it's cool that Nehemiah was able to organize the people and rebuild the city within just a few weeks. It's even more cool that the king supported him in his effort. Is there one thing that we should learn from this book? If so, what would it be?

A: People often point to the book of Nehemiah as being a model for leadership. So often a study of Nehemiah focuses on the virtues of Nehemiah's style of leadership. And that may all be true. But I do believe there are a couple of key points that I've not seen any Bible study focus on.

For starters Nehemiah's heart was broken for the people. When he heard about the conditions in Jerusalem - he was broken hearted. He grieved. He fasted. He prayed. I wonder how many of us are that broken hearted. We're so filled with images on TV, for example, that we might be immune. Take for example, the recent tragedy in Japan. I've no doubt that hundreds of thousands of Americans watched these images --- hearing the story of destruction, suffering and despair --- and then went out to dinner and to a movie. Few of us wept for Japan, fasted for Japan, etc. So like I said, I wonder if any of us could love a people group so much that we could be broken hearted for their misery, suffering, vulnerability, etc.

Secondly, Nehemiah looked to God for everything. He prayed often. He was specific in his requests of God. He was confident that God would answer. He encouraged the people to be confident in God's provision. I think that too stands in stark contrast to how we live today. Even the most faithful Christians are probably falling short of the level of faith that Nehemiah exhibited. Look at it another way. When Jesus performed miracles - He was never surprised that they worked. For example, when Jesus turned water into wine, He didn't say, "Oh my gosh! It worked! It worked!" Jesus knew who He was and He was confident in the power the Lord had given Him. How may of us really expect miracles in our day to day lives?

Just because you don't quite get it, I encourage you not to give up on the book of Nehemiah. Virtually every book in your Bible is "useful for teaching" (2 Timothy 3:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment